The only thing we love more than a pun here at Metamorphic is learning that the world’s most powerful brand is investing in sustainability. LEGO, the plastic toy company, is investing $150 million dollars over the next 10 years in a program to develop new sustainable materials which will eventually replace the plastic currently used to make its blocks. Being one of the top toy brands in the world comes at a cost, since LEGO goes through more than 6,000 tons of plastic each year to manufacture all the sets they sell. We look forward to seeing the outcome this ambitious investment yields, not only to LEGO but for other companies that use this type of plastic.
In the meantime, here are our Top 5 favorite facts about LEGO:
5. A LEGO brick from 1958 would still interlock with a LEGO brick made today. This is why we always say YES to donated/handed down lego sets, not unlike the 100L of LEGO we acquired last summer from our older cousins!
4. You can combine six of the eight-studded LEGO bricks in 915,103,765 ways. wait, what?
3. LEGO Duplo bricks (the large ones for little kids) can connect with regular LEGO bricks. We had no idea! And promptly walked into our living room and tested it out.
2. Every second, seven LEGO sets are sold. In the time it takes to read this sentence, dozens have been sold worldwide. Maybe a dozen, depending how fast a reader you are.
and our #1 favorite LEGO fun fact is:
1. LEGO is the worlds top producer of… wheels! Sure they’re mini tires but at 306 million produced each year, that’s a lot of tires!